A Child Custody Lawyer in Virginia Beach Explains Child Support Basics

When a couple divorces, a court may order the non-custodial parent—the parent who does not live with the child—to pay child support. If the couple is unmarried, the court may still require the non-custodial parent to pay child support. In some cases where the child does not live with either parent, both parents may be required to pay child support to a third-party caretaking entity.

A Child Custody Lawyer in Virginia Beach Explains Child Support Basics

Obtaining Child Support

If you do not currently have child support, there are a few options to consider. You could make an out-of-court agreement with the co-parent, or you can get a court to issue a child support order. No matter which option you choose, you will have to know where the co-parent is, establish paternity, and use your state’s guidelines to determine the proper child support amount. Child support lawyers in Virginia Beach can help you figure out how to obtain child support and if you qualify.

How to get child support orders

Typically, child support orders will be issued by the family court. The court will base its decision on your state’s child support guidelines and will factor in the income of the non-custodial parent and the number of children. The court can deviate from the guidelines if there are legitimate reasons for doing so. If the payer’s income increases or the cost of living increases, then the court may raise the monthly payment.

Enforcing child support

Because child support is considered the right of a child, there are effective enforcement mechanisms in place to ensure the non-custodial parent pays. If the parent is delinquent on payments, the court may order wage garnishment, liens on their personal property, revoke their driver’s license, or make them unable to obtain a U.S. passport.

Modification of Child Support

Over time, life situations may change, and you may longer be able to afford your child support payments. If this is the case, then it is possible to go back to court and revise your payment amount. A child custody lawyer in Virginia Beach can educate you on the process and ensure that the courts treat you fairly during the modification hearings.

Child Support and Unmarried Couples

In a marriage, the husband is typically considered to be the father of the child. However, in unwed couples, the father has no legal rights about shared custody, visitation, or decisions about the child’s welfare. Should the mother want to seek child support payments, courts may order the alleged father to submit to DNA testing if he will not do it voluntarily.

Why has hired An Attorney?

Child support is often contentious and emotionally-charged. A good lawyer will help ensure that you treat justly and only pay the amount that is fair. Additionally, a lawyer will help you navigate through the modification process, should your circumstances change in the future.

The Firm For Men specializes in representing men in their divorce. We believe that divorce courts typically favor women, and have made it our mission to ensure men receive the outcomes they deserve. If you are a man and want to make sure that the courts treat you fairly during your divorce, feel free to reach out to us at our firm by phone at (757)383-9184.

This is not to be construed as legal advice and does not create attorney client relationship. All cases are different and should be reviewed by a lawyer to determine each person best case scenario.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s